SeparationGrant Stephens Family Law provides a full service tailored to the needs of separating couples. When couples separate, it is important that they have the security of knowing where they stand and ideally any financial issues or issues relating to Children should be implemented in a Separation Agreement or Deed of Separation signed or executed by both parties which can record the agreed parenting arrangement and any financial agreements. This can be achieved through Alternative Dispute Resolution such as Mediation or Collaborative Law or by Court action.

With the finances and in particular any property that is owned or shared by the couple, the law is not straightforward. If the property is held in the name of only one person, the other person will want to know what rights they have particularly if an agreement was in place that the ‘owner’ pay the mortgage and the other has contributed by paying other bills, or possibly acting as the ‘primary carer’ of the children.

Difficult situations can also arise with jointly owned property where there is no express agreement as to shareholding and where one party in a broken relationship considers that they should have a larger percentage shareholding than the other. Furthermore, there may be dispute as to whether the property should be sold and it may be appropriate in those circumstances to apply to the Court for an order for sale.

Grant Stephens Family Law has expert solicitors at hand who can advise and represent you about all aspects of the law relating to unmarried couples. For a free initial consultation* within 24 hours (at evenings or weekends) with solicitors you can trust please call us on 02921 679 333 or contact us and we will get back to you.