What if there is a dispute over how to bring up children?

What if there is a dispute over how to bring up children?

It can sometimes be difficult for parents who are together to agree on how children should be brought up. Parents who are separated can find it even more difficult to agree on a whole range of issues such as:

  • Schooling
  • Religion
  • Where the children should live
  • Whether the children should live abroad
  • Medical Treatment
  • Change of Name

Sometimes these disputes require urgent action particularly if the child’s welfare is at risk unless immediate action is not taken.

A ‘Specific Issue’ application is an application for the court to determine a specific question which has arisen, or which may arise, in connection with any aspect of parental responsibility for a child.

A ‘Prohibited Steps Order’ is a court order preventing either parent from carrying out certain acts (such as changing the child’s surname) or making specific trips with their children without the express permission of the other parent.

It is always better for parents to find consensus on how children are to be brought up which can either be reached through lawyers, in mediation, during the collaborative Law process or independently of anyone else. However, if this is not possible or if there is an emergency situation requiring immediate action, a Court application will be necessary. When dealing with any such applications the Court will always first consider the welfare of the children.

Family Mediation Week 2024

Family Mediation Week 2024 Family Mediation Week 2024 will run between Monday 22nd January and Friday 26th January, this annual campaign was created to raise […]

Read More

Dividing Business Assets in Divorce

Dividing Business Assets in Divorce Going through a relationship breakdown is a difficult and emotional process, the addition of dealing with finances and dividing business […]

Read More
Scroll to Top